Intentionality and Course Design 1

Every week I want to devote time to the rationale behind the course structure and assignments. I value your time and want to make sure it is used for your growth as a learner.

This week we will focus on designed interactions and reflections and Universal Design for Learning. 

Each Module has a discussion forum for you to reflect and share your thoughts with the group about a scenario, case study, or technology. While we are not interacting in person, the forums allow for lively discussions and rich media, including text, links, images, videos, and audio. I am modeling the use of audio and video to encourage you to explore options. You do not have to include video or audio if you feel uncomfortable doing so; what is essential is for you to share your thoughts and ideas and go on “quests” to find supporting information. 

Accessible resources are critical for the inclusion of everyone in these discussions. Therefore, we are sharing captions, transcripts, and recordings. I want to provide multiple means of representing the information. You do not have to hear the podcast AND watch the video lecture and read the slides, but I offer these resources to use the materials that work best for you. There is learner variability, and UDL helps us attempt to reach all. Watch this short video to learn more: 

https://youtu.be/AGQ_7K35ysA

I also have designed the course to include prompts and opportunities for reflection and self-evaluating your knowledge. This often will take the form of questions that ask you to provide your thoughts on a previous module or scenario. By sharing with others and reviewing our understanding, we can gauge what we need to focus on to grow.

I challenge you to identify opportunities for multiple ways of representing the information and communicating your learning to improve the experience for all.