Feedback leads to improvement!

Thank you for being patient and engaged during this first offering of the BIT 479/579 High-throughput Discovery course. I appreciate your feedback and wanted to make sure you realize that I am incorporating changes for the next offering of this course in the spring.

Weekly checklists. Yes! I will provide a weekly checklist to ensure participants know the tasks for each module. We will update the Course Map to include a checklist and refer to it so that participants know assignments and how they align to course and module objectives. I am currently using this approach in the BIT 477/577 Metagenomics course.

Module 6. We are reinventing Module 6 to include a new case study and data analysis. This forthcoming case study will provide an example of high-throughput techniques applied to plant genomics. We will use this module and case study as an opportunity to reflect and make connections to other class content and objectives. For this, we will use the course map and an interactive course assignment.

JoVE Projects. I realize this was a challenging project, and there wasn’t much time for you to ask questions. We will introduce this project early on and help you plan milestones. During the first week, we will establish expectations and provide examples and resources via synchronous meetings. The “specs” grading approach can appear harsh, but I intended to guide the expected work level. Several milestones contribute to the project grade, and I will be more transparent about each milestone by going over new rubrics during the first week of the course.

I appreciate your input, and thank you for your suggestions. While I am aware that they won’t help you directly, they will undoubtedly impact the course and future participants. I will also continue working to improve transparency on the high standards we have for assignments and communicate expectations and help participants keep track of the tasks to achieve these outcomes successfully.

Take care!

CG

Thank you for all your ideas, feedback and hard work!
Thank you for all your ideas, feedback, and hard work!